turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I bought my house for 110k and sold for 150k and lived for less then year would I pay capital gains? And if yes would buying other house take away tax? And how long

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I bought my house for 110k and sold for 150k and lived for less then year would I pay capital gains? And if yes would buying other house take away tax? And how long

In general, yes, you will owe tax on the increase. For property held for less than one year, that is a short term capital gain which is taxed as ordinary income at whatever your ordinary tax rate is. Buying another home will have no effect. The ability to defer gain by buying another home was removed from the tax code in the late 1990s. Since then, when you sell a home you must determine gain or loss and pay tax on the profit. There is no way around that. If you sold your home because of a job change or "unforeseen circumstances" you might be able to exclude some of the gain. See IRS Publication 17 for the details on that.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

View solution in original post

2 Replies

In general, yes, you will owe tax on the increase. For property held for less than one year, that is a short term capital gain which is taxed as ordinary income at whatever your ordinary tax rate is. Buying another home will have no effect. The ability to defer gain by buying another home was removed from the tax code in the late 1990s. Since then, when you sell a home you must determine gain or loss and pay tax on the profit. There is no way around that. If you sold your home because of a job change or "unforeseen circumstances" you might be able to exclude some of the gain. See IRS Publication 17 for the details on that.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

Jerry2000 Won't that tax come out of sale.  Or will I have to pay it later
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies