Solved: Identifying Paid Family Leave Tax in TurboTax

2taxed

Identifying Paid Family Leave Tax in TurboTax

Block 14 of my W-2 shows an amount for NY PFL that represents my contribution (payroll deduction tax) that I paid to NY Paid Family Leave.  (A tax I paid, not a benefit received.) TurboTax didn't recognize "NY PFL" so it asked me to select another description from their list, else choose the description "Other - not on list below".

I read elsewhere that NY PFL should be identified as "State Disability Taxes Withheld."  So, would this correspond to TurboTax's description "NY Nonoccupational Disability Fund Tax?" 

Or perhaps it would be "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed?"

Or is "Other - not on list below" appropriate?

Thanks.

ToddL99

Enter  "Other - not classified" or  "Other – not on above list", the last choice on the drop-down list of available categories for Box 14.

You could also enter "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed". Your entry here will not affect your ability to e-file or your tax calculation. 

Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.  

If you don't see a category in the TurboTax list that matches your W-2 entry (NYPFL), don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you. 

ToddL99

2taxed

Perfect.  Thanks!