Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pneves
Returning Member

I work as assistant. I making $13 hr My boss reinburse me for my mileages because I use my own car to do err for company I am on W2 my

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I work as assistant. I making $13 hr My boss reinburse me for my mileages because I use my own car to do err for company I am on W2 my

You need to complete your message, it was cut off

pneves
Returning Member

I work as assistant. I making $13 hr

My boss reimburse for my mileages because I use my own car to do err for company I am on W2 my boss does not pay me in cash he pay with check I am not sure if I need to know if I have to pay for the IRS as income Remember I am paying for my own gas mileage he just reimburse me for it

If you receive a W-2 than you report that income from the W-2 on a Federal tax return.  Employee business expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if your employer has an accountable plan, the auto reimbursements should not be included on you w-2 in boxes 1 2 and 3 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: If your employer includes the reimbursement, as income, in box 1 of your W-2, it is taxable income to you.  If he does not, then it is not taxable and you do not need to report it.

But taxes aren't simple.  As others have stated, your employer must have an "accountable plan" for employee expenses.  The fact that he reimburses you for actual expenses, as oppressed to giving you a "car allowance", probably meets that requirement. 

if it is included on your W-2 (and hence taxable), be advised you, as a W-2 employee, are not longer allowed a mileage deduction (beginning in 2018). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies