Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a graduate teaching assistant paid on a contract basis (similar to an adjunct professor). Taxes are not taken out. Can I deduct my mileage to and from the school?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
juliob
Employee Tax Expert

I am a graduate teaching assistant paid on a contract basis (similar to an adjunct professor). Taxes are not taken out. Can I deduct my mileage to and from the school?

In order to deduct mileage to and from school, your home needs to be your "Principal Place of Business" AND are considered an independent contractor/freelancer. You must have a room/area in your home where you perform your business (grading papers, emailing students, etc.) and not for personal reasons (watching T.V., having coffee with friends).

You must keep an accurate record of the miles you drove to and from work/school in order to deduct them. You can use Quickbooks Self-Employed to keep track of your business mileage:

View solution in original post

1 Reply
juliob
Employee Tax Expert

In order to deduct mileage to and from school, your home needs to be your "Principal Place of Business" AND are considered an independent contractor/freelancer. You must have a room/area in your home where you perform your business (grading papers, emailing students, etc.) and not for personal reasons (watching T.V., having coffee with friends).

You must keep an accurate record of the miles you drove to and from work/school in order to deduct them. You can use Quickbooks Self-Employed to keep track of your business mileage:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies