Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to itemize deductions even though the standard deduction is higher. The option to do this is greyed out.

Because I am subject to the AMT, I want to itemize deductions even though the standard deduction is higher.  How do I do that?  The check box at the bottom on schedule A is greyed out.   

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I want to itemize deductions even though the standard deduction is higher. The option to do this is greyed out.

TurboTax will recommend the deduction method which generally most benefits you.

However, if you are in certain special tax situations, you can change the option.

Please read this TurboTax FAQ on how to change the deduction method:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300919

Edited 03.30.18  |  7:35 PM

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I respectfully disagree.   As is explained at the link at the end of this post, when one is subject to the amt it can be beneficial to itemize deductions rather than take the standard deduction even though the standard deduction is higher when subject only to the regular tax.   

Moreover, TurboTax seems to understand this because there is a checkbox  option at the bottom of Schedule A to itemize even though the standard deduction is higher.  As I explained in my initial question, this option is greyed out.   I suspect there is a way to make this selection somewhere in the software interface, but I cannot find it.  Does someone know where in the software interface I can select this option?  

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://sfmagazine.com/post-entry/december-2015-taxes-the-standard-deduction-or-itemized/">http://sfm...>
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I have edited my answer.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

the FAQ says you can choose, but how else to do it if the box is disabled?
In a pinch, you would have to delete all entries, interest, taxes, donations etc until your itemizations are low enough.

The described method of switching between standard and itemized deductions does not work on Turbotax Premier, MacOS Catalina. It defaults to standard deduction (admittedly is is probably higher).  But in VA, the deduction election on your state return must be the same as federal and the VA standard deduction is peanuts. In 2018, I saved $1000 on my federal and gave it all right back to VA. SO, I need to run it both ways (standard vs itemized) for both federal and state and look at my NET tax. FIX THIS!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies