turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want my girlfriend to be able to write off mortgage interest on her taxes but i'm the only one on the loan. Can she do this or do i need to refi/add her to loan?

I'd like to split the mortgage interest amount that can be written off between me and her.  But she isn't on the title or loan.  Refinancing is expensive and I'd rather just cut the amount I claim on taxes and give her the balance but am not sure if that's allowed.  I don't want her to just do it only to find out she's submitted bad taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I want my girlfriend to be able to write off mortgage interest on her taxes but i'm the only one on the loan. Can she do this or do i need to refi/add her to loan?

No.  If GF is not on the loan or deed, she is not legally obligated to pay the loan, and cannot deduct mortgage interest or property taxes paid on the home.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No.  If GF is not on the loan or deed, she is not legally obligated to pay the loan, and cannot deduct mortgage interest or property taxes paid on the home.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Furthermore, you don't want to split it with her. Mortgage interest and real estate taxes are only deductible as an itemized deduction. This means she must have enough deductions to exceed the standard deduction to get any benefit. And even then, the benefit is only incremental. It is best if you claim all the deductions and let her use the standard deduction on her return.
TomD8
Level 15

A taxpayer can deduct home mortgage interest if both the following conditions are met.

• The taxpayer files Form 1040 and itemizes deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040).

• The mortgage is a secured debt on a qualified home in which the taxpayer has an ownership interest. For more details, go tohttps://www.irs.gov/publications/p936

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies