noeunice

I used two cars to drive Uber last year and both were under my spouse's name, but my insurance was in both cars. Can I file both cars' vehicle expense?

I used two cars to drive Uber last year and both are under my spouse's name, but my insurance was in both cars. Can I file both cars' vehicle expense for deduction?

I had to use two cars due to the repairment times for either car.

Hal_Al

Yes, if you are filing as Married Filing Jointly.

noeunice

I cannot do the joint filing since we are in J visas. So how can I file the vehicle rental fee since I used my husband's car for the business use? Or can I not file the rental fee, but just the gas, oil, and repairement, etc.?

MarilynG

Yes, you can claim Vehicle Expenses for both cars that you used for Uber even though the titles are in your spouse's name, since you are legally married and residing in the same household.   .

TurboTax will ask in the Vehicle Expenses section whether you own the vehicle, and  you can indicate YES. 

Generally you will be better off claiming Standard Mileage rather than Actual Expenses for your rideshare business. 

TurboTax will guide you through entering all your vehicle expenses (including lease payments) to see which method gets you a higher deduction. 

Remember, though, that if you use Actual Expenses the first year of your business, you will need to continue using that method. 

Here's more detailed info to help you with Business Vehicle Expenses