Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taapkenl

I thought on Illinois state tax you received credit for property tax? Oh

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. In TurboTax, go to the left navigation pane>State>Continue

Click Continue by Illinois and answer the questions. You will be asked about details for your Illinois Property Tax if you have not yet entered anything.

OR, if you have already answered the questions, then after clicking Continue by Illinois, it will ask

• if you were a full-time resident of Illinois-only residents of Illinois are eligible for the credit
  • what county you lived in; answer/verify your answer and click Continue
  • Click Done with income at the bottom of a list of credits
  • Click Edit by Property Tax Credit at the top of the next screen to adjust your answer

To learn more from the Illinois Revenue site, click the following link to learn who qualifies for the credit. See below or go to this Illinois.gov Q&A page to learn more.

Keep in mind  the income limits: "The Illinois Property Tax Credit is not allowed if the taxpayer’s adjusted gross income for the taxable year exceeds $500,000 for returns with a federal filing status of married filing jointly, or $250,000 for all other returns."
You must use the Schedule ICR, Illinois Credits, to calculate your property tax credit. This credit is generally 5% of the property tax you paid during the tax year for real estate that included your principal residence. For more information about the property tax credit, please refer to Publication 108, Illinois Property Tax Credit.
RoyOK

I'm having the same problem. I've read the rules many times, I've gotten the credit for years. I'm sure I qualify, I've checked all my answers many times, and it keeps telling me I don't qualify. I'm about ready to scrap the Turbotax state return an file manually. Illinois is not that difficult

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To start with the easiest solution, be sure that the property taxes are entered in the Real Estate Tax section of the federal interview. 

To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

• Inside TurboTax, go to the search box in the top right corner and enter property tax.
  • Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  • Complete the interview by entering your real estate taxes.
  • Repeat the Illinois interview to make sure all your details are included.

JE67

I have received Illinois property tax credit every year, this year it says $0.  Own my house, paid the property taxes and income under the limit.  Entered in Federal and state.  Still 0. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@JE67 - Since you claim your income is under the limit, please provide additional information.  Are you receiving an error message?

For tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2017, the Illinois Property Tax Credit is not allowed if a taxpayer's federal Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) exceeds $500,000 for returns with a federal filing status of married filing jointly, or $250,000 for all other returns.

The Illinois Property Tax Credit is a credit on your individual income tax return equal to 5 percent of Illinois Property Tax (real estate tax) you paid on your principal residence. You must own and reside in your residence in order to take this credit.

Sometime you can clear your cookies and history to get the system to calculate accurately.  Also use the steps below to clear your system.

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.

Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies