turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Macetw

I started a deposit to my HSA on Dec 30, but it didn't arrive at the bank until the "next year," Jan 4. It took that long for HSA. Can I apply it to the former year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I started a deposit to my HSA on Dec 30, but it didn't arrive at the bank until the "next year," Jan 4. It took that long for HSA. Can I apply it to the former year?

You have until 4/15/2021 to make a contribution to an HSA for the 2020 tax year ... just confirm with them that you did indicate it was for 2020.   And next time don't ever wait until the last minute to do anything that has a deadline especially when a bank/broker is involved (not to mention the holidays)  ... you may not be as lucky next time. 

As long as the bank characterizes it as a 2020 contribution, it's ok. 

dmertz
Level 15

Certainly check with the HSA custodian to see that it was treated as a contribution for 2020 as Opus 17 described.  By default, custodians must treat contributions as being for the year in which the contribution is deposited unless instructed otherwise.  If they tagged it as being for 2021, the deadline for getting them to correct it to be a contribution for 2020 is April 15, 2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies