turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold my home in CA and moved to OR. I left the house and CA 2 days before close of escrow. Am I a CA resident until day after closing and pay CA tax, or pay OR tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I sold my home in CA and moved to OR. I left the house and CA 2 days before close of escrow. Am I a CA resident until day after closing and pay CA tax, or pay OR tax?

You cease being a California resident on the day you leave the state for more than a temporary absence. I wouldn't matter that you still owned property there, that doesn't make you a resident.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.   We would not have moved if the house had not sold.   We left 2 days prior because we had the carpets cleaned.  If the house had fallen out of escrow,  we would have moved our stuff back in and stayed.   We went to our vacation home we own in Oregon and put our belongings in storage.  Once the house in California closed,  that is when it became more than a temporary absence.   Correct?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

The date you closed the sale of your CA house is a very reasonable choice as your first day of being a resident of OR.

You have some flexibility in choosing the date you ceased being a CA resident and began to be an OR resident.

The date you choose as the first day of residency in a new state (or country)  can also coincide with one of the following events: 

• You or your spouse arrived in the new state or country 
  • Your belongings arrived 
  • You or your spouse started work 
  • You started renting your new place 
  • You purchased your new home 
  • You or a family member enrolled in school 
  • You or your spouse registered to vote 
  • You or your spouse applied for a state driver's license 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies