turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold land I owned in another state and taxes were deducted in that state. I live in Georgia do I have to report the sale and pay taxes when I file my Georgia return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I sold land I owned in another state and taxes were deducted in that state. I live in Georgia do I have to report the sale and pay taxes when I file my Georgia return?

you'll need to file a non-resident return in that other state taking credit for the taxes withheld. in Georgia, as a resident,  income from the sale will be taxable, but by filing that other state return you'll be able to claim a tax credit on the Georgia return for the taxes paid to the other state.  in Turbotax you'll need to do the nonresident state first.

As a resident of Georgia, you must report and pay tax on all your world-wide income.

Furthermore, you must file in the other state, because any withholding was only an estimate and the actual tax is determined on a tax return.

You will file a non-resident return in state B, reporting only your in-state income from that state.  Then you will file a resident return for Georgia reporting all your world-wide income.  You will be able to claim a credit for taxes you paid in state B on the same income. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies