turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I reported interest gained on my foreign bank accounts. It then asks - where on your return you have reported income associated with foreign financial accounts?

Does this question relate to the income section 1099-INT, where I also reported interest on my foreign account? how do I know what exact from, schedule and line it relates to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I reported interest gained on my foreign bank accounts. It then asks - where on your return you have reported income associated with foreign financial accounts?

Please read the following detailed explanation for an answer to your question.

With respect to how to report earnings on your foreign bank account, you will do this on a United States tax return just as you would as if the bank were domestic in nature instead of foreign.  It does not matter what is the dollar amount involved, the reporting process is just the same -- although you do need to convert any foreign currency amounts back into US dollars, simply for tax compliance and reporting.

In other words, whether or not you receive an actual US Form 1099-DIV (for dividends) or Form 1099-INT (for interest) you will simply "pretend" that you did, and proceed to enter your dividends and interest in that manner.  As such, you can can follow the mechanical data-entry instructions for each type of passive income, as described in each of the following links:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952456-where-do-i-enter-my-1099-div

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899701-where-do-i-enter-form-1099-int

If you also paid any foreign taxes on those dividends or interest, you can input that data on the very same 1099-DIV and 1099-INT input screens in TurboTax. There will be boxes provided there, in which you can indicate any foreign taxes paid.

If you are later asked about the specific schedule and line where your foreign interest and / or dividends are reported on your tax return, you would answer that as follows.  For interest income it will be Form 1040, Schedule B, Line 1.  For dividend income it will be Form 1040, Schedule B, Line 5.

Now then, reporting the income from your foreign financial accounts is one thing.  Reporting the existence of your foreign financial accounts is entirely another.  In other words, there is a "disclosure" requirement for every US taxpayer who holds assets in a non-US account financial account, even if the account or asset generates no taxable income.  This applies to mainland US citizens, territorial residents, and expats, including those who never return to the US, but still maintain their US citizenship.  Essentially, the government wants to know about your non-US assets -- how much and where you keep them.

In fact, there are two separate disclosure forms that may be required; each also has different reporting rules.  One is known as IRS Form 8938, and can be attached to the relevant yearly Form 1040 tax return.  The other is FinCen Form 114, which can only be filed via the internet.  The following Internal Revenue Service webpage describes them in some detail, and provides their dollar value reporting levels:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/comparison-of-form-8938-and-fbar-requirements

Form 8938 is included in TurboTax.  FinCen Form 114 is not included in TurboTax, and you would need to access that reporting webpage separately, if your foreign financial assets total over the limit(s).  Note that you can get to the FinCen reporting internet site directly through the above IRS link.

Thank you for asking this important question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GeoffreyG

Please read the following detailed explanation for an answer to your question.

With respect to how to report earnings on your foreign bank account, you will do this on a United States tax return just as you would as if the bank were domestic in nature instead of foreign.  It does not matter what is the dollar amount involved, the reporting process is just the same -- although you do need to convert any foreign currency amounts back into US dollars, simply for tax compliance and reporting.

In other words, whether or not you receive an actual US Form 1099-DIV (for dividends) or Form 1099-INT (for interest) you will simply "pretend" that you did, and proceed to enter your dividends and interest in that manner.  As such, you can can follow the mechanical data-entry instructions for each type of passive income, as described in each of the following links:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952456-where-do-i-enter-my-1099-div

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899701-where-do-i-enter-form-1099-int

If you also paid any foreign taxes on those dividends or interest, you can input that data on the very same 1099-DIV and 1099-INT input screens in TurboTax. There will be boxes provided there, in which you can indicate any foreign taxes paid.

If you are later asked about the specific schedule and line where your foreign interest and / or dividends are reported on your tax return, you would answer that as follows.  For interest income it will be Form 1040, Schedule B, Line 1.  For dividend income it will be Form 1040, Schedule B, Line 5.

Now then, reporting the income from your foreign financial accounts is one thing.  Reporting the existence of your foreign financial accounts is entirely another.  In other words, there is a "disclosure" requirement for every US taxpayer who holds assets in a non-US account financial account, even if the account or asset generates no taxable income.  This applies to mainland US citizens, territorial residents, and expats, including those who never return to the US, but still maintain their US citizenship.  Essentially, the government wants to know about your non-US assets -- how much and where you keep them.

In fact, there are two separate disclosure forms that may be required; each also has different reporting rules.  One is known as IRS Form 8938, and can be attached to the relevant yearly Form 1040 tax return.  The other is FinCen Form 114, which can only be filed via the internet.  The following Internal Revenue Service webpage describes them in some detail, and provides their dollar value reporting levels:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/comparison-of-form-8938-and-fbar-requirements

Form 8938 is included in TurboTax.  FinCen Form 114 is not included in TurboTax, and you would need to access that reporting webpage separately, if your foreign financial assets total over the limit(s).  Note that you can get to the FinCen reporting internet site directly through the above IRS link.

Thank you for asking this important question.

Please note that if you have a foreign bank or investment account(s)  that total above $50,000 on Dec 31st, or above $75,000 at any time during the year you have file form 8938 describing these accounts. If any of these are deposit accounts and they pay you interest, you have to report it on Schedule B, AND indicate it in Schedule 8938, Part III (Summary of Tax Items...), Section 1 (Foreign Deposit and ...Accounts), line 1a (Interest).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies