dpwitch

I refinanced my home and paid points on the new loan. The lender can't get me a 1098. How do I enter the points that I paid into Turbotax?

RayW7

As far as filing taxes goes, claiming a tax deduction for mortgage points is a fairly straightforward process. Mortgage points are considered an itemized deduction and are claimed on Schedule A of Form 1040. Here are the specifics:

• Usually, your lender will send you Form 1098, showing how much you paid in mortgage points and mortgage interest
  • Transfer this amount to line 10 of Form 1040 Schedule A
  • If any of your points were not included on Form 1098, enter the additional amount you paid on line 12 of Form 1040 Schedule A

For many taxpayers, the process really is this simple. In some cases, though, calculating and deducting mortgage points can be tricky. With TurboTax, just answer a few simple questions and we can help you get the proper deduction for your mortgage points.

Mike9241

when you refinance the points are NOT immediately deductible. they must be amortized over the term of the new mortgage.  there may be a partial exception. points related to any portion of the refi used to substantially improve your home are deductible. 

Beeone

Update, my mistake line 12 is in TurboTax program worksheet. I was looking at the IRS version.