Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aa0612
Returning Member

I received gift money through PayPal last year but the sender had to mark it as goods and services...how do I report this?

PayPal would only allow the gifter to send the money via goods and services. I am concerned because the transactions looked like I was running an online business given the "goods and services" nature of the transactions. No, there was no 1099 but I still want to report this in the event I receive an audit. I don't want the IRS to view these transactions and think I'm lying because they don't look like gifted transactions even though they were.

Will I have to pay the IRS for this gift money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received gift money through PayPal last year but the sender had to mark it as goods and services...how do I report this?

a gift is not taxable.   there is no good way to report a gift on the 1040.  the fact that no 1099 was sent to you should mean that the IRS knows nothing about the transaction.  by trying to report this, you may create problems rather than solving a problem that doesn't exist.  should you be audited for other reasons and the IRS asks about it, get a letter from the donor. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

a gift is not taxable.   there is no good way to report a gift on the 1040.  the fact that no 1099 was sent to you should mean that the IRS knows nothing about the transaction.  by trying to report this, you may create problems rather than solving a problem that doesn't exist.  should you be audited for other reasons and the IRS asks about it, get a letter from the donor. 

Carl
Level 15

If no tax reporting document was issued, then don't worry about it. Gifts are not taxable or reportable on any tax return, provided the gift is less than $15,000 in any one tax year. But I would suggest you get a letter from the donor as a "just in case I'm audited" measure.

aa0612
Returning Member

Thank you very much! I've been SO stressed about this and you and the other commenters helped ease that. 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies