Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jilldews1

I purchased a trailer in 2016, taxible value $3661. Colorado trailers require plates and registration... the fee was $527.29. Is this deductable?

I believe Colorado refers to it as ownership tax.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I purchased a trailer in 2016, taxible value $3661. Colorado trailers require plates and registration... the fee was $527.29. Is this deductable?

Yes, it is deductible and yes - Colorado does call it "own tax" on their registration card.

Here's data entry:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions Credits
  3. Car and Other Things You Own
  4. Car Registration Fees - enter "own tax"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
shvasha

I purchased a horse trailer in 2017.  Again I paid an ownership tax as well as state and county taxes.  What is deductible here, and do i still put this under "Car Registration Fees"
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is deductible and yes - Colorado does call it "own tax" on their registration card.

Here's data entry:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions Credits
  3. Car and Other Things You Own
  4. Car Registration Fees - enter "own tax"

TurboTaxMargaretL’s answer appears to be out of date. “Own Tax” is no longer (as of 2016 receipts) itemized, either on the front or back of the Colorad Registration/Ownership Tax Receipt.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies