I’m trying to file for free, but it won’t let me b...

awyatt2984

I’m trying to file for free, but it won’t let me because it’s telling me I have a foreign account when I have no foreign accounts

LinaJ2020

It might be that some information related to foreign account got carried over from last year.  If you do not have a foreign account in the year of 2020, you can simply remove a Form 8938 "Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets" from the program.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • Select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to the form 8938 and other worksheets about foreign account and Continue with My Return

A Form 8938 is used when you have specified foreign financial assets and the total value of all the foreign assets in which you have an interest is more than the appropriate reporting threshold.  For details, click here: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8938

awyatt2984

I’m already at the end trying to file so where can I find this form so I can delete it? There’s no option for me to click on where it says picked up where you left off

GloriaL

To remove this from your return:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the Search box (upper right hand side) type schedule b foreign accounts and trusts.
  3. Click the Jump to link in the search results.
  4. Answer None of the above to Tell Us About Any Foreign Bank Accounts.
  5. Click Continue.
  6. Answer None of the above to Tell Us About Any Foreign Trusts.
  7. Click Continue.
  8. Answer No, I don’t have foreign financial assets to Foreign Financial Assets.
  9. Click Continue

@awyatt2984

@awyatt2984 

Start on the second step ... 

• Select Tools