I lived in 1 city the entire year & pay no state income tax. I bought a car at a location that has a higher sales tax. How do I get the full amount of sales tax deducted?

buckner-38

TurboTax asked the dates I lived at a location.  I lived at the same location the entire year and so put in the state+local combined tax rate.  However, I purchased a car in a different city which has a much higher tax rate (1.4 percentage points higher).  However, it won't let me take credit for all of the sales tax I paid, unless I lie and say I lived in that city for a day, and I absolutely won't lie to the program.

Rainman12

TT is correctly limiting your deduction; You can't take the full amount. IRS on why you get no higher deduction: https://www.irs.gov/uac/sales-tax-deduction-option
"Taxpayers also may add to the table amount any sales taxes paid on:
A motor vehicle, but only up to the amount of tax paid at the general sales tax rate ...
For example, the State of Washington has a motor vehicle sales tax of 0.3 percent in addition to the state and local sales tax. A Washington state resident who purchased a new car could add the tax paid at the general sales tax rate to the table amount, but not the 0.3 percent motor vehicle sales tax paid."
buckner-38

TurboTax won't even let me input the General sales tax for the locality the purchase was made.
Rainman12

You are limited to the rate where you live. You should treat the purchase made at a higher rate as if it was at the general rate where you live. Don't try to input any higher rate ...