michael-cipriano

I live in the US and have a transferwise account with money in US Dollars and Euros. Do I have to declare the EURO account as a foreign bank account?

MinhT1

Your Transferwise account is a borderless account which is regulated by the Financila Coduct Authority in the UK, and as such is considered as a foreign account for US residents and citizens.

Therefore, if your Transferwise had a balance (including all currencies) of more than $10,000 anytime during 2019, you have to file a FBAR report.

Please read this FINCEN article for more information.

MinhT1

mvier

I asked that specific question to Transferwise and they said I did not. I would tend to agree with you though but why would their customer support people state the opposite ?

Just  CYA ... it doesn't cost you anything to file the FBAR and it doesn't hurt you in any way so just file one to be safe. 

kay321

When you say "more than $10,000" is that including or excluding your USD balance?

As I understand it, TransferWise keeps USD balances in a US bank.

DaveF1006

It depends. Any account overseas is a foreign account regulated by foreign regulators.  If there is more than $10K in the accounts kept overseas, it has an FBAR requirement whether USD balances or otherwise. Besides, as Critter-3 expresses, it doesn't cost anything to file the FBAR and may avoid legal ramifications in the long run. I am sure you can do without the potential headaches involved.