turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is not allowing me to enter medical expenses why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Probably this bug...but there is a workaround:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7080616

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

10 Replies

I have tried clicking on the $0, but nothing pops up and I cannot enter any amount.  No supporting details sheet pops up, no drop down menu and no X.

@resources44

1) Double-clicking  …  not clicking...and only in "Windows" computers as I have no idea what MACs do.
and if that does not work
2) just switch to "Forms Mode" …..start the entry there, and make sure you delete the "Supporting Details" worksheet so that you can make normal entries in the future....unless you are sure you can remember how you got it to go in next year.

I can make no promises thqt TTX will actually fix this bug.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Probably this bug...but there is a workaround:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7080616

ths11
Returning Member

still broken as of 4/2/2022 with TurboTax 2021 Premier.  as suggested elsewhere, if you only want to see if total medical expenses exceed the AGI pecentage, enter the medical professionals expense in another medical expense  category.

The medical expense categories are just for your use, as only the total ends up on your tax return. So use any one of them to enter your expenses.

I am filing 2021 tax on line and it puts 962600.00 in medical deductions and i cant continue filing with this problem

@Larry Naslund 

Go back thru your medical deductions section again and edit them.

Huge numbers like that happen if you are accidentally hitting the comma instead of the decimal point before the cents numbers.   (the comma and the decimal point are adjacent keys on the main keyboard).  You don't see the change until you leave the box/field where you entered the number.

Also, if you are getting SS payments, edit your SSA-1099 entries to make sure yoru Medicare deductions aren't mis-numbered similarly.

ksteilbe

How do you get to ANY expense?  It won't show any category.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

If you are trying to enter your medical expenses, this is how to start that section:

1. Select Federal.
  2. Select Deductions and Credits toward the upper left. 
  3. Expand the list and scroll down to Medical Expenses.
  4. Enter your expenses in the boxes on each screen. 
  5. Continue until your complete the section. 

Please note, it takes a lot of medical expenses to affect your refund because they subtract 7.5 % of your gross income from the total deduction.

For example, if your income is $50,000, $3750 will be subtracted from your medical expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ksteilbe

Found out on another site that the reason TurboTax doesn't show the boxes to enter expenses is that there is a long-standing bug in the software.  I got around it thanks to another post elsewhere from which I learned I could enter the numbers on the form instead.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies