Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have only foreign earned income for 2016 and meet the requirements for using the exclusion. The income is less than the exclusion. Do I still file a tax return?

To be clear, my only income was the income earned overseas and it was far less than the exclusion amount.  I meet the physical presence test (was living abroad the entire year).
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

I have only foreign earned income for 2016 and meet the requirements for using the exclusion. The income is less than the exclusion. Do I still file a tax return?

Yes - you still have an obligation to file your U.S. federal return, even if all of your foreign earned income is excluded via the foreign earned income exclusion reported on Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income.

Per the IRS: "Since the foreign earned income exclusion is voluntary, you must file a tax return to claim the foreign earned income exclusion.  It does not matter if your foreign earnings are below the foreign earned income exclusion threshold."

Please see the following IRS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About International Individual Tax Matters"

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/frequently-asked-questions-about-internation...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnR1

Yes - you still have an obligation to file your U.S. federal return, even if all of your foreign earned income is excluded via the foreign earned income exclusion reported on Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income.

Per the IRS: "Since the foreign earned income exclusion is voluntary, you must file a tax return to claim the foreign earned income exclusion.  It does not matter if your foreign earnings are below the foreign earned income exclusion threshold."

Please see the following IRS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About International Individual Tax Matters"

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/frequently-asked-questions-about-internation...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies