williamjreich

I have a irrevocable trust can deduct a $10,000 loss against $15,000 of dividends ?

tagteam

What type of loss? Is this a passive loss, capital loss, business loss (which would be unlikely)?

Are you using TurboTax Business to prepare a Form 1041 for the trust?

More details are needed as your question is overly broad.

Hal_Al

Q.  Can we deduct a $10,000 loss against $15,000 of dividends ?

A. Simple answer: no. 

A capital loss can only be deducted DIRECTLY against  capital gains, including capital gains distributions (box 2a on a 1099-DIV). 

Only $3000 of Capital losses may  be deducted against ordinary income, including dividends (including "qualified" dividends).  Any excess (over $3000) is carried forward to the next year.  Although qualified dividends are taxed at long term capital gains rates, they can not be deducted directly  against capital losses. 

tagteam

Note that if the $10,000 loss is a capital loss, you are distributing all of the ($15,000) dividend income to the beneficiary(ies), and this is not the final year of the trust, then then entire $10,000 loss will be carried forward to the trust's next tax year.