turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a bunch of camera equipment that I don't know if it's an asset or an expense. I'm happy to write off the full amount this year. What should I do?

I have a camera worth more than 2500.  And lenses and other equipments worth less than 2500.  Should they all be assets?  I wouldn't mind getting the most money this year (as opposed to slow depreciation) as I'm always investing more on equipment.  Where should deduct these items?  All in Assets or expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

I have a bunch of camera equipment that I don't know if it's an asset or an expense. I'm happy to write off the full amount this year. What should I do?

The camera itself should be listed as an asset and the other equipment could be listed as expenses. When you are entering the asset in, you can elect to take bonus depreciation to get more depreciation expense this year. Turbo Tax will walk you thru how to do this. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.  But I already entered all the equipment as assets.  Was that a mistake?  Should I re-do it all as expenses?  I haven't filed yet..
WillK
Intuit Alumni

You can leave them all as an asset or take the assets off that you would like to expense.

Thank you for your quick response.  Ok, is there an disadvantage to leaving them as assets?  Am I more likely to be audited?  It was a total of around $8000 in equipment.
WillK
Intuit Alumni

No that will not increase your chances of being audited. In fact, leaving it as an asset is the safer route

Excellent, thank you for your advice!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies