Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had an HSA family eligible health plan for 6 months of 2023. $7040 was deposited in my HSA accounts during the year. How do I calculate and withdraw the excess?

I had the HSA plan coverage for me and my spouse from January 1 to June 13 2023. I believe $7750 is the limit for 2023 but it seems I am eligible to contribute only six months of that, so $3,875. Am I correct to ask my HSA provider for an excess contribution withdrawal of $3,165?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I had an HSA family eligible health plan for 6 months of 2023. $7040 was deposited in my HSA accounts during the year. How do I calculate and withdraw the excess?

I'll page @dmertz

@jperasso if you are not covered by an eligible HDHP either family or self-only coverage since June then $3875 is the max. This also assumes your spouse is not cover by an eligible HDHP and also is not covered by any non-HDHP general health plan. If your spouse has eligible self-only HDHP coverage they can set up their own HSA and make contributions for the last 6 months. The max is $1925. If they have an eligible family HDHP and you are not ineligible they can make a maximum contribution of $3875. 

contact the trustee or custodian. tell them you were only eligible to make $3875 in contributions and want to withdraw the excess including any allocable earnings. In some cases this can be done online

by eligible HDHP for 2023

the maximum annual dedcutible can not exceed

self-only $1500

family $3000

with a  maximum-of-pocket of

self-only $7500

family $15000

You are correct.  Eligibility is determined on the first day of each month.  If you have 6 months of eligibility, your maximum allowed contribution with a family HDHP for 2023 was $3875.   ($7750÷12 x 6 months)

As mentioned by others, there are some additional possibilities if your spouse maintained a separate family or single HDHP, but we would need more details. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies