Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got the error "Because she had another disqualifying situation, Blaire doesn't count for the Child Tax Credit." That makes no sense.

I meet all of the criteria. What would count as a disqualifying situation?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I got the error "Because she had another disqualifying situation, Blaire doesn't count for the Child Tax Credit." That makes no sense.

Please be aware that we cannot see the details of your tax return. To qualify for the Child Tax Credit your child must meet all requirements, if one requirement is not met then this would disqualify your child. Also, credit is reduced once your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) reaches $200,000 (or $400,000 if you're filing jointly with your spouse). Please review the requirements here:

• Be under age 17 at the end of the tax year
  • Is your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, adopted child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, a grandchild, niece, or nephew)
  • Has his or her own Social Security Number
  • Lived with you for more than half the year
  • Didn't support him/herself (i.e., didn't pay more than half their own expenses)
  • Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien
    • Residents of Canada or Mexico wouldn't qualify
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
1waljack

The requirement that says more than half the year, if the child was born on July 3, 2019 would that disqualify her?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

No, for a child that was born in July or later, if the baby lived with you only, select "The Whole Year".  If a child is born during the tax year, the IRS sees that it lived with you for "the baby's whole year".  Congratulations!

@1waljack

[ Edited 2/23/2020 | 8:33pm PST ]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My son meets all the requirements and it still says he has a disqualifying situation. PLEASE HELP!

@mjpatter112 wrote:

My son meets all the requirements and it still says he has a disqualifying situation. PLEASE HELP!

The four main reasons a child would not qualify for the Child Tax Credit on a 2020 tax return -

You indicated the child lived with you for 6 months or less.  A child born in 2020 lived with you for the whole year.

The child was age 17 or older in 2020 (Check the date of birth)

You indicated that the child provided over one-half of their own support

You indicated that the Social Security number was Not valid for employment.

Go back to My Info and carefully review the questions and your answers for the dependent.  If everything is correct then delete them as a dependent and re-enter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies