Solved: I entered my property tax for home business deduction. When I hit “Continue,” my decuction is doubled. I am unable to change the number.

I entered my property tax for home business deduction. When I hit “Continue,” my decuction is doubled. I am unable to change the number.

I had the same problem with TurboTax counting real estate tax twice and not letting me edit the number.  I got around it by going back into my business and deleting the real estate tax.  Then I was able to go back into Personal.  It showed my previously reported value and I was able to zero it outl.  It gave me my business office home use deduction and reported my real estate tax correctly in the Personal section.

I have 2 home based businesses and last year I followed what turbotax recommended and entered my real estate tax in both places and it calculated percents properly and made the adjustment to personal. This year I had it tripled! I zeroed it out in the personal Sch. A area but it won’t let me over-write the doubled amount pulling from BOTH businesses, even though in the business directions it clearly says that I enter them both places and TT will automatically adjust for it. I wonder if there is a programming glitch on this item this year???

Yes, glitch for sure - love how we can at least lament to each other about it rather than it being addressed and solved....check how many people have had this issue; so, where did you enter the amount then in the end, did not understand that. I have the same issue. You say you deleted it in business and then you zeroed it out in personal too (meaning dropped it there as well), so where was it left?

I can't really explain why it worked, but I zeroed it out in both places.  It then calculated my business office home use deduction using the number that was previously there (even though I had zeroed it out) and, voila, when I went back to look in the Personal section, my real estate tax was correct.

Thank you...figured it out in the end, different method, but this is an issue that Intuit needs to address better, hope they do!

Thank you for this feed!!!!  I'm having the same problem except is was more than double on mine.  It has to be a programming issue.

Seems like a internal program error.  Cannot figure out where the amount came from to double the entry, but it is there.

I had the same problem and even when I took it out of my home office section, it was still showing up double even with the personal section at zero.  Spent at least 75 minutes on hold with TurboTax and the customer service rep. couldn't figure it out either.  As I was on the phone with her, I thought to put the property tax in the box as a negative number.  Who knew you could even enter a negative number?  Well folks, that worked!  Crazyness.  On this last day, I thought I would pull all my hair out, but it looks like I will be filing on time!  Hopefully TurboTax will get the glitch worked out before next year or at least make  it clearer to NOT enter property tax twice!

Still a feature in TurboTax H&B 2017!

Yea I am having the same problem for HB 2017. It is doubling it even though I checked the box for reporting it in more than one location.

Happening in 2018 tax form as well, grrr!  I WONT USE THEM AGAIN! too frustrating.