Solved: I don’t understand the question that states if I paid more than half of my living expenses?

aajd99

I don’t understand the question that states if I paid more than half of my living expenses?

maglib

There are 2 possible more than half questions in TT.

1.One question is did you provide over half your support and does not define from what sources. This pertains to can you claim yourself as a dependent?  If you, in fact, provided over half your own support from any forms gifts, savings, scholarships, they you would not be a qualifying child of your parents and could claim your own exemption.

2. The other question is related to earned income providing over half your support and this is related to qualifying for the education tax credits.  If your 2017 earned income contributed to paying over half your own support. Often a student has to say no as their support was paid by other means. If your earned income didn't provide over half your support, you are only eligible for tax credits to the extent of your tax liability and not eligible for refundable tax credits.  

Worksheet for determining support: https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

maglib