Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmcnair1

I completed my taxes but did not get my mortgage interest deduction. If I file separately can I get the deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

I completed my taxes but did not get my mortgage interest deduction. If I file separately can I get the deduction?

The mortgage interest deduction is only recorded on your tax return if you itemized deductions. Therefore, if you took the standard deduction on your return (which is much higher for 2018 than in previous years), then the mortgage interest deduction would not have impacted your return. 

It would only make sense to amend for mortgage interest if your total itemized expenses would be greater than the standard deduction, which is $12,000 for single/married filing separate, $18,000 for head of household, and $24,000 for married joint returns. 

If you are referencing filing separately as in married filing separately, the situation will be the case whether you filed your return jointly or separately.  (And when filing separately, you both have to file the same way -- both either take the standard deduction or both itemize.)

Also, the ability to record the mortgage interest deduction is more restricted in 2018.  Here is more information below on the ability to deduct mortgage interest.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300473

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieCo

The mortgage interest deduction is only recorded on your tax return if you itemized deductions. Therefore, if you took the standard deduction on your return (which is much higher for 2018 than in previous years), then the mortgage interest deduction would not have impacted your return. 

It would only make sense to amend for mortgage interest if your total itemized expenses would be greater than the standard deduction, which is $12,000 for single/married filing separate, $18,000 for head of household, and $24,000 for married joint returns. 

If you are referencing filing separately as in married filing separately, the situation will be the case whether you filed your return jointly or separately.  (And when filing separately, you both have to file the same way -- both either take the standard deduction or both itemize.)

Also, the ability to record the mortgage interest deduction is more restricted in 2018.  Here is more information below on the ability to deduct mortgage interest.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300473

skneuvean

I completed my forms and I should be getting a mortgage interest deduction but it is not picking up on my total deductions.  All it is pulling is property, state, and local taxes which max at $10,000 and my charitable giving.  What is wrong?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies