turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rfb1126

I cannot fix error 8829 worksheet: Allocable home office expense error. I do not see the line in the Special Situation as instructed in help section

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MichaelDC

I cannot fix error 8829 worksheet: Allocable home office expense error. I do not see the line in the Special Situation as instructed in help section

This error is occurring because you have multiple home offices and the expenses from both forms cannot total more than 100%. So if you have 100% on both forms this is incorrect. 

You must adjust the percentage of business conducted in both home offices and make sure it does not exceed 100% combined to resolve. Take the steps below to edit your home office percentages. If you have any other details regarding this question, please feel free to post them in the comment section.

Check out these entries:

1.      Go to the Business tab

2.      Go to Business Income and Expenses

3.      Select I'll choose what I work on

4.      Click Update on the line for Profit or Loss from Business

5.      Click Edit on the line for your business

6.      Click Start/Update on the line for Special Situations

7.      If you have two home offices then you will see a box that is checked on the line for I need to allocate my business expenses to my home offices (Make sure this box is unchecked)

If you still have the error , you may have to delete one of the office in the home worksheets:

Open your return in TurboTax. ...

1.       In the upper right corner, click My Account> Tools.

2.       In the pop-up window, select Delete a form.

3.       Click Delete next to extra Form 8829 Worksheet and follow the onscreen instructions.

Here's the best way to notate two home offices, whether you move or not(See the attached screenshot below. Click to enlarge.):

You'll have two office that you will allocate the income and expenses to:

Go to Business tab-Continue

Choose I'll choose what to work on 

Business Income and Expenses

Profit or Loss from Business , click Start or Update

Select the Home Office button. (See the attached screenshot below. Click to enlarge.)

Continue through answering that you had two home offices and follow the interview. (See the attached screenshot below. Click to enlarge.)

TurboTax will ask you to Enter a Percentage (you'll tell the program how much of your income you earned in that home office - for example, if you were in your 1st home office for 6 months of the year, and earn your income fairly evenly through the year, you would say "50%" of your income was earned in this home office).

TurboTax will next ask you to Allocate Your Business Expenses. you would do the same thing you did for your income, but instead of entering a percentage, you'll enter a dollar amount. To continue the above example, say you $10,000 in expenses and incurred the expenses somewhat evenly throughout the year, you'd enter $5,000 as the amount of expenses to allocate to this home office.

Do this for both home offices for this business. Once you complete your 1st home office, you'll be given the option to enter another home office. Again, to continue our example, in TurboTax for the 2nd home office, you'll also enter 50% for your income percentage earned for this business, and $5,000 as the amount of expenses to allocate to this home office.

It is possible to have 100% business conduct in each of the home offices in different periods of time. This happens when you move from one home office to another. Specifying values less than 100% leads to the incorrect calculation of the taxes. See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/warning-turbotax-2019-incorrectl... for details.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies