Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crawfiej

I bought a house last yer with my girlfriend, we split everything 50/50. does one of us file the 1098 or do we both file it as co-owning the loan since we are not married.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I bought a house last yer with my girlfriend, we split everything 50/50. does one of us file the 1098 or do we both file it as co-owning the loan since we are not married.

With joint ownership for unmarried individuals, each can only claim the portion of any expenses such as interest or real estate taxes that they pay.

If a Form 1098 is issued and does not include your social security number as the first borrower you need to indicate that in TurboTax. It permits you to state another individual received the Form 1098.

crawfiej

So since both our names are on the loan we would both file as co owners? Or could one of us to file as the owner and the other just not file?
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

See my response above - if you paid it, you claim it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies