turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my return

I amended my 2020 tax return when unemployment exclusion happened and then IRS said not to but it was to late I already amended.... I got logged into the child tax credit portal and my eligibility status is pending is it because I amended my 2020 tax form? And I did receive the original tax refund before I mend it I got that and now I'm still old almost $3,000 and on the portal it says if you have a pending status you won't get that payment so my question is is my amendment holding up that eligibility status? Well I have to wait until they finish processing my amended 1040x for 2020? And if so my 16 weeks isn't till August 12th so I won't get July's payment how do I get that payment back so few questions I guess if anybody could help me that'd be awesome!!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I amended my return

There is nothing you can do but wait.  The news said last night the IRS has something like 35 million backlogged returns (I don't know if that number includes the 13 million returns that need to be reviewed for UEC, or if that is a separate backlog) and there is no way to know when the advance payments will actually start to be sent.  The IRS is also begging people not to call them.

The bottom line is that if you qualify for the enhanced child tax credit, it will be added to your refund when you file your 2021 return.  The advance payments don't change the amount of credit you are eligible for, they just change when you get paid.  There is nothing you can do to increase your chances of receiving the advance payments. 

You should not have filed an amended return, it's too late to stop that now and you will just have to wait for the IRS to wade through the backlog and catch up.  

I amended my return

I understand but what I'm not understanding is why my 1040x is done I have it thru turbo tax and it says refund amount and it'll be mailed 3-4 weeks but nothing is being done why finish a return only to let it sit?? 

I amended my return

@danield872005 Not sure where you got the idea that it would only take 3 or 4 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I amended my return

@danield872005 wrote:

I understand but what I'm not understanding is why my 1040x is done I have it thru turbo tax and it says refund amount and it'll be mailed 3-4 weeks but nothing is being done why finish a return only to let it sit?? 

The Turbotax information page for e-filed returns may not be updated to reflect the difference between e-filing a regular return or an amended return.  3-4 weeks is the processing time under normal conditions for an original return only.  Even an e-filed amended return takes 16 weeks under normal conditions, and this year is much worse than normal.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies