Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am using the "Insurance Safe Harbor Method" for establishing my loss for line 7 of Form 4684. Your template incorreclty forced me to use lines 5 and 6 to do this. Why?

Using your filing options, how will I be able to include the required "statement of use of Revenue Procedure 2018-08" with my return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am using the "Insurance Safe Harbor Method" for establishing my loss for line 7 of Form 4684. Your template incorreclty forced me to use lines 5 and 6 to do this. Why?

You cannot use the Safe Harbor election in the TurboTax Online version.  You can use the desktop version and perform an override (Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) as IRS Form 4684, Casualties and Thefts instructions say to leave Lines 5 and 6 blank when electing to use the Safe Harbor Election for deducting your hurricane loss.  Your tax return will need to be mailed in.

Follow the steps in the TurboTax FAQ below for steps on performing an override.  Click the blue instructions hyperlink. Click "See entire answer" for the full page view.

To include the required statement using a TurboTax desktop version, view the return in Forms Mode.  Select the Open Form button at the top.  Then type Blank in the search bar.  A blank form will generate and your statement can be written there.

The attached statement must state the specific Revenue Procedure you used to determine the amount of your casualty loss.  Click this IRS link Instructions for Form 4684 for specific details on what to include in your statement.  Scroll down to page 5.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You cannot use the Safe Harbor election in the TurboTax Online version.  You can use the desktop version and perform an override (Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) as IRS Form 4684, Casualties and Thefts instructions say to leave Lines 5 and 6 blank when electing to use the Safe Harbor Election for deducting your hurricane loss.  Your tax return will need to be mailed in.

Follow the steps in the TurboTax FAQ below for steps on performing an override.  Click the blue instructions hyperlink. Click "See entire answer" for the full page view.

To include the required statement using a TurboTax desktop version, view the return in Forms Mode.  Select the Open Form button at the top.  Then type Blank in the search bar.  A blank form will generate and your statement can be written there.

The attached statement must state the specific Revenue Procedure you used to determine the amount of your casualty loss.  Click this IRS link Instructions for Form 4684 for specific details on what to include in your statement.  Scroll down to page 5.

Will all the information I have put in the online version transfer to the desktop version?

@ldwickterjr Yes, but you first need to save the Online return as a data file.  Follow the steps in this TurboTax FAQ link <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302260">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302260</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies