turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rebecca36

I am self-employed with a home office in the same home for 11 years. This year Turbotax calculated my home office deduction at a fraction or prior years. Why?

Expenses were entered the same as prior years and were higher than 2020. Prior year deductions were around $2,000. 2021 deduction is $331. What would cause this when actual expenses were more?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rebecca36

I am self-employed with a home office in the same home for 11 years. This year Turbotax calculated my home office deduction at a fraction or prior years. Why?

Problem resolved somehow. After entering all my other business expenses and income, it recalculated the correct amount. Thanks for the responses.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

OIH expenses are limited based on the net profit of the business ... review the Sch C and the form 8829.  Any unallowed expenses are carried forward. 

Some expenses, such as home office or section 179 depreciation can only be used to reduce your schedule C taxable income to zero, and not to create a loss. Excess deductions for these carry over to the next year.  And you have to answer yes to both questions about exclusive and regular use, not just one.  The area of your home office must be used regularly and exclusively for business to deduct it.

Or you checked the box on 32b saying Some Investment is Not at Risk.

rebecca36

Problem resolved somehow. After entering all my other business expenses and income, it recalculated the correct amount. Thanks for the responses.

You know I just noticed that the online Self Employed version has income listed at the bottom after expenses.  Seems weird.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies