turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am self employed and travel to other city on Monday and back to home on Friday. Can I claim deduction on gas & food expenses for commute and lunch on client site?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am self employed and travel to other city on Monday and back to home on Friday. Can I claim deduction on gas & food expenses for commute and lunch on client site?

No. Your 'Tax Home' determines where you deduct expenses to/from. If you regularly derive income from one location, that's usually considered your Tax Home, and travel to/from there is considered Commuting; Commuting is Not deductible. Where you choose to live has  little impact. For more on the Tax Home concept, see https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf 

View solution in original post

Hal_Al
Level 15

No, if that one client is your only source of self employment income.  As the other reply indicates, the client's office is your principal place of business and your tax home.

However, if you are regularly self employed, in your home area (you've done this type of work in the past, and expect to do it in the future) AND the current out-of town assignment is expected to last less than one year (and actually does last less than 1 year), you may deduct the out of town expenses and mileage. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No. Your 'Tax Home' determines where you deduct expenses to/from. If you regularly derive income from one location, that's usually considered your Tax Home, and travel to/from there is considered Commuting; Commuting is Not deductible. Where you choose to live has  little impact. For more on the Tax Home concept, see https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf 

Hal_Al
Level 15

No, if that one client is your only source of self employment income.  As the other reply indicates, the client's office is your principal place of business and your tax home.

However, if you are regularly self employed, in your home area (you've done this type of work in the past, and expect to do it in the future) AND the current out-of town assignment is expected to last less than one year (and actually does last less than 1 year), you may deduct the out of town expenses and mileage. 

Can you please provide a reference to the under 1 year rule?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf = Rules for Travel Expenses. See "Tax Home" section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies