I had solar panels installed in 2017 and i am supposed to get over $7000 in a tax credit. I have not received it pls advise Tina Bartnett

Solar panels tax credit

Yes.... the sales people will tell you about the credit and it sounds really good especially if you were counting on that amount to help with the down payment ... however since they cannot see your return or possibly know how the credit will actually effect you they cannot promise you anything.

Review the form 1040 page 2 lines 47 - 56 ... and especially line 53 & the credit form 5695 ... to see how that affected your return. 

If the credit reduced your tax liability to zero on your tax return, then you would have received a refund of your tax payments for 2017.  Any excess tax credit is carried over to next year.  The tax credit is Not a separate refund.

I was told by solar company that I would receive tax credit of over $7200. I did some research and something about a 5695? Shouldn’t turbo tax have prompted me to fill out that form with the 1040?

I need to speak to someone

The program presents all the possible deductions & credits if you use the step by step interview process and look at every option ... if you missed that credit you can make the correction before you file ... or amend the return if you have already filed... see the answer below for those instructions.

If you have filed the 2017 tax return you will have to amend the return to add the credit.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2017 tax return originally completed and filed using TurboTax (online or desktop) - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4252298-how-do-i-amend-a-2017-return-in-turbotax

To enter Home Energy Credits -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credit
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Your Home
  • On Home Energy Credits, click the start or update button

Or enter home energy improvement in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to home energy improvement

"I was told by solar company that I would receive tax credit of over $7200"
Did they guaranty that?

I would love to see that guarantee in writing  ... but they (and their legal department) are smarter than that.

I am having the same issue.