Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am an independent contractor are the miles to and from the place I’m contracted deductible?

I’m contracted and then from home I drive about 65-70 miles to the place I’m asked to work and then back home.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I am an independent contractor are the miles to and from the place I’m contracted deductible?

Yes, they are. Your deductible miles depend on where your primary place of business is located.

• If you maintain an office at home, all your miles are typically deductible from the time you get behind the wheel and drive away to deal with anything related to your business. 
  • If you drive to meet with a client, then return directly home, the entire trip is business-related. If you drive to meet a client then stop for a loaf of bread, you've complicated the issue. 
  • If you operate your business from somewhere other than your home, you can't deduct the miles you drive to that location – they're considered commuting. 
  • You can deduct driving costs from your business location to work-related activities, even if it's just dropping packages off at the post office.

To enter vehicle expenses, like mileage, click on Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and suppli...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

Yes, they are. Your deductible miles depend on where your primary place of business is located.

• If you maintain an office at home, all your miles are typically deductible from the time you get behind the wheel and drive away to deal with anything related to your business. 
  • If you drive to meet with a client, then return directly home, the entire trip is business-related. If you drive to meet a client then stop for a loaf of bread, you've complicated the issue. 
  • If you operate your business from somewhere other than your home, you can't deduct the miles you drive to that location – they're considered commuting. 
  • You can deduct driving costs from your business location to work-related activities, even if it's just dropping packages off at the post office.

To enter vehicle expenses, like mileage, click on Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and suppli...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies