mjeand06-gmail-c

I am a US citizen and work as an independent contractor who lives overseas. Do I qualify for the foreign tax credit exemption?

pk

@mjeand06-gmail-c ,  you should be eligible for foreign earned income exclusion and foreign taxes  on any income that cannot be excluded from US taxes , should be eligible for foreign tax credit ( unless  US-other country tax treaty limits this ).

Which country(/ies) are you working in?  Is this your first year ( and if so when did  you leave USA and have you been back to the USA during the last 12 months )?  Are  you a resident of that country or just currently working there  ( i.e. are you a bonafide resident of that country) with a work visa?

Mike9241

if you work in the US you are not entitled to the foreign income exclusion but if you paid foreign taxes you're entitled to a creit

pk

@Mike9241  note that the poster lives abroad and works as independent contractor / self-employed.

Mike9241

misread thread thought it said he works for an overseas contractor.