turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a US citizen and work as an independent contractor who lives overseas. Do I qualify for the foreign tax credit exemption?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I am a US citizen and work as an independent contractor who lives overseas. Do I qualify for the foreign tax credit exemption?

@mjeand06-gmail-c ,  you should be eligible for foreign earned income exclusion and foreign taxes  on any income that cannot be excluded from US taxes , should be eligible for foreign tax credit ( unless  US-other country tax treaty limits this ).

Which country(/ies) are you working in?  Is this your first year ( and if so when did  you leave USA and have you been back to the USA during the last 12 months )?  Are  you a resident of that country or just currently working there  ( i.e. are you a bonafide resident of that country) with a work visa?

if you work in the US you are not entitled to the foreign income exclusion but if you paid foreign taxes you're entitled to a creit

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Mike9241  note that the poster lives abroad and works as independent contractor / self-employed.

misread thread thought it said he works for an overseas contractor.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies