I am a mechanic responsible for buying my own tools at my expense where do I write off these items as expenses?

If you are an employee and you purchased tools to use at work, you may be able to deduct the cost of your tools as a job-related expense. You'll need to itemize deductions (Schedule A) to claim your job-related expenses. The cost of your tools won't be fully deductible as it will be subject to the 2% rule. Note that if you are self-employed you may deduct the cost of tools you use for work as a business expense.

To enter your job-related tool expenses in TurboTax:

• Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in, and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type 2106.
  • In the results box, highlight 2106, then click GO.
  • You'll land on the page that says Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for. Enter your occupation (in your case, mechanic) and click Continue
  • Continue to answer the questions in this section. When asked, Did you buy or own any items for use on your job?, select Yes, I bought or owned items in 20xx that I used for my job, then click Continue.
  • Tell Us About the Item You Bought or Owned. Select Tools, Machinery, Equipment, Furniture, then click Continue. (Click the screenshot below for reference.)
  • Continue through the interview. TurboTax will ask questions about the tools that you bought for your job and calculate your tax deduction if any.

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function and the "Jump to" link (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.

Can employees deduct any job-related expenses? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300622

[Edited 02.26.2018 I 07:19PM PST]

What if you purchased the tools with a credit account. Do you claim the full cost of the tools or just the amount that your already paid off

Expenses purchased with a credit card are deducted when purchased.  You do not wait until they are paid off.

I have the same issue. I went the form it said to and you cannot input them because it now requires it to be for the armed forces, or if you are disabled. There are requirements and because of that it it is not considered an expense. 

For tax year 2018 and on, unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer deductible on the Federal tax return. 

See here under Overview.