turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

misscapla

I already file my w-2 tax without claim eic cuz i forgot to claim eic is too late to change it or call irs to explain ?? how it work ? thank you

i forgot to claim eic after i already file tax form  is too late to change ?

Thank you 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomK
Expert Alumni

I already file my w-2 tax without claim eic cuz i forgot to claim eic is too late to change it or call irs to explain ?? how it work ? thank you

You can not add the form/information to your original tax return once it has been filed AND accepted by the IRS.  If it gets rejected, however, just log back in to your tax return add the form and make any other necessary corrections. 

If accepted, you will need to file an amended return (1040X) to show the additional form/information. You should not try to amend your return until the original return has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.

Click here for the 1040X: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for more information about qualifications for the Earned Income Credit (EIC or EITC): https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299933

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies