Solved: HSA Distribution - Date is Service in prior year. Received bill in current.

HSA Distribution - Date is Service in prior year. Received bill in current.

Hello, in December of last year I incurred about $500 in medical charges. However I did not receive my bills until January 2018. I opened up an HSA account on January 1. Am I eligible to use this account to pay for expenses that I incurred last December since they were billed after I open the account. Or since date of service is last year they are not qualified?

Sorry, no.  Account must be open before the charge was incurred, not when it was billed.