turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to handle institution acquisitions (Schwab/TD Ameritrade)

Schwab just acquired TD Ameritrade. All of my accounts were automatically transferred from TDA to Schwab.

I added Schwab to Mint which creates the problem of each account appearing twice. Deleting TD Ameritrade would alter my historic data.

What is the best way to manage this transition within Mint so my TD Ameritrade accounts no longer appear as duplicates to my Schwab accounts without losing my historic data from previous years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

This is the TurboTax community. Go to the following link for Mint support.

Welcome to Mint Support

Also see the following for chat support for Mint.

How do I contact support?

I also have this exact same question. Haven't found anything about it so far and the mint support search I did actually linked here from the mint site.

In_to_it

I have the same question and issue. I got here from the Mint help search page as well.  And there's no where to post questions in the Mint help webpage.

ellee113

I have the same question! This is frustrating.  I was originally with Scottrade and when TD Ameritrade bought them, somehow it just worked seamlessly.  My accounts were just renamed:image.png

Obviously not the case with this Schwab aquisition.

if the securities were transferred from TD to Schwab there is no recognized gain/loss and your basis remains the same as it was in TD. Simply put transferring securities from A to B is not a sale. 

only if the securities were sold/liquidated to cash in the TD a/c would there be gain/loss or if sold after transfer to Schwab.

I don’t know if you are still having this problem, but this is how I just resolved it:
1. add Charles Schwab to your investment accounts

2. go to the app’s homepage, and click on the profile button in the top right corner

3. Click on accounts.

4. Find TD Ameritrade and click on it anywhere in its box. The layout makes it look like this is just a list of your accounts… But they are actually buttons.

5. There should be a delete button there, and you can delete it now that you have added your Charles Schwab account

I’ve realized this method messes up your investment graph, but keeps your net worth graph the same. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies