Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stevie

How to file standard mileage rate on taxes for school

I read on the IRS website that you can file standard mileage rate on your taxes for school which is $0.54 a mile, and i was wondering how i can do that. the IRS website says "Generally, if you claim a business deduction for work-related education and you drive your car to and from school, the amount you can deduct for miles driven from January 1, 2016, through December 31, 2016, is 54 cents a mile." I am unsure what form is proper seeing that the 2106 EZ form only says for business.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

How to file standard mileage rate on taxes for school

You can only deduct the mileage if you go directly from your work site to the school. You cannot deduct the mileage from school back to home, unless the schooling is considered temporary (expected to last less than 1 year and actually does last less than 1 year).

You are allowed to deduct your mileage (54 cents for 2016) .. TurboTax completes form  2106, which  then carries to Misc itemized deductions on Schedule A. You only get to deduct that portion of  your misc deductions that exceed 2% of your AGI. and then only if your total  itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction.  (2% rule explained: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902781-what-is-the-2-rule)

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab

Deductions & Credits

I'll choose what I work on

-Scroll down to:

-Employment Expenses
-- Job related expenses

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies