Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nothing
Returning Member

How to file Form 3520?

Hi we filed as married jointly for tax year 2017 under my spouse's name. We just found out that we might need to file form 3520 as well. 

Our questions are:

1. Do we need to file 1040X as well? or just submit Form 3520 separately to IRS?

2. Since it has already past tax extension deadline(10/15/2018), do we need to pay any penalty to IRS?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

How to file Form 3520?

A Form 3520 is filed separately from your tax return.

The 3520 is most often filed when you receive a gift from a foreign person in the amount over $100,000.

IRS Form 3520 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3520.pdf

IRS Form 3520 instructions - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i3520.pdf

nothing
Returning Member

How to file Form 3520?

@DoninGA  Thank you very much for your answer. The money was actually sent to both my spouse and me(to the bank account under my name). The total is much less than $200,000. In this case, do we still need to file 3520?

How to file Form 3520?

If the bank account is in your name only then only you would be reporting the total amount of the gift on a 3520.  If a joint account for the gift and it is less than $100,000 each then the 3520 would not be required.  
Just note the 3520 is an informational form only and has no bearing on a tax return.
cris233

How to file Form 3520?

Do I need to attach gift letters to form 3520? Thank you.

How to file Form 3520?

No.  If the IRS has questions concerning the 3520 they will contact you by mail.  Keep any type of correspondence confirming the gift with your personal records if they are ever needed.

How to file Form 3520?

We have eFiled our 2019 tax return, and I am now completing form 3520. The form is asking me the name of the service center where my tax was submitted. I eFiled my report through Turbo Tax, how can I determine the center that is handling my return?

How to file Form 3520?

Did you filed the form 3520? Did they audit you or impose a penalty since you filed late? You said you received the gift in 2017 but didn't post your question till 2019, so I am assuming you filed late. I'm in the same situation as yours btw.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How to file Form 3520?

You need to print and mail Form 3250.  It isn't part of your regular tax return. 

A penalty applies if Form 3520 is not timely filed or if the information is incomplete or incorrect (there can be an exception if there is reasonable cause).

No penalties will be imposed if the taxpayer can demonstrate that the failure to comply was due to reasonable cause and not willful neglect.

Click this link for more detailed Instructions for Form 3250.

@Shogun159 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies