turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to enter mortgage interest received from personal loan? Should I send borrower form 1098?

You are really splitting hairs ... either kind of interest is reported the exact same way on the Sch B with the name of the payer and the amount.  Don't worry so much, to the IRS income is income and they are just happy you report it.
ibjoe

How to enter mortgage interest received from personal loan? Should I send borrower form 1098?

I suppose.. but if claimed as "Seller Financed Loan" implies I sold a property (I did NOT) and IRS may wonder why that doesn't showing up on my tax forms? I don't want to file something that indicates I made some financial transaction that I didn't. I still wish I could find an official IRS statement that clarified this situation, but I think that simply claiming it on Sch B as interest income and identifying the borrower should be sufficient and not raise any IRS questions. Hopefully.

I am doing my first WRAP mortgage interest income through my LLC. (The seller extends to the buyer a junior mortgage which wraps around and exists in addition to any superior mortgages already secured by the property)

My note servicing company issued 1099 INT which indicates interest income ($8K) which is higher than the actual interest income ($2K) received from the end buyer. It seems like note servicing company is most likely reporting underlying mortgage interest income ($6K). 

How do I report actual interest income ($2K) under Interest income? In other words, where can I deduct underlying mortgage interest income ( as an expense)?

Thank you in advance for your help. 

@Pankaj 

Answered in your other post.

FAA1
Returning Member

I understand that it is not necessary to give the payee a 1098, but is this a Capital Gain asset for me under Rev. Rule 64=162 since I am reporting the interest and principal pay back over 25 years?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

An installment sale is a sale of property where you receive at least one payment after the tax year of the sale. You can read more about installment sales here

You can report part of your gain when you receive each payment, rather than all of your gain in the year of the sale. 

Here’s how to report one in TurboTax:

1. Open your return in TurboTax
  2. In the search box, search for installment sales and select the Jump to link
  3. Check the box next to Sales of real estate, cars, or anything else for which you receive payments over two or more tax years (installment sales). Select Continue
  4. Answer Yes to Do you want to report an installment sale?
  5. Follow the instructions to enter your sale details

Here's more info on Form 6562. 

@FAA1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies