Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mimititus

I inherited my brother's truck, clothes and household items and donated them all to Salvation Army. Are these donations income or distributions from my brother's estate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I inherited my brother's truck, clothes and household items and donated them all to Salvation Army. Are these donations income or distributions from my brother's estate?

Inherited items are NOT income and are not reported on an income tax return.  Now the donation may be deductible if you itemize deductions. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Inherited items are NOT income and are not reported on an income tax return.  Now the donation may be deductible if you itemize deductions. 

Such items - trucks or other valuable property - are reported on an NJ Transfer Inheritance Tax Return. It is a very nasty tax.

Seek professional help with that NJ form.

How do we know OP is in NJ?

Of course, we don't. I'm just venting.

As a fellow NJ resident, I emphatize.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies