Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I show proceeds from sale of a second home that had shared ownership with a sibling? 1099-s form I received doesn't match anything in TurboTax.

I received 50% of net proceeds after realtor fees and my sibling received the other 50%.  I don't see a 'standard' 1099-s form in TurboTax to post 1-1 values from the form I received.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GloriaL
Expert Alumni

How do I show proceeds from sale of a second home that had shared ownership with a sibling? 1099-s form I received doesn't match anything in TurboTax.

To report the sale of land in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the Search box type "investment sales".
  3. Click the "Jump to investment sales" link in the search results.
  4. Answer Yes to “Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds or other investments in 2020?
  5. On the next screen Click on “Other”.
  6. On the Screen “Tell us more about this sale” type in 2nd Home and Click on Continue.
  7. On the “Now We’ll walk you through entering your sale details”, under “What type of investment did you sell?” Select 2nd Home in the dropdown.
  8. Continue to enter the requested information on the screen(s).

Since you owned this home with your sister, you would be allowed to take 50% of basis as the cost of the property and your sister would use 50% on her taxes.

That sounds fairly simple, but unfortunately I'm not getting the same results.  I'm using the Premier version of TurboTax.

1. I search on "investment sales".

2. I click on "jump to investment sales".

3. I see "did you sell any investments in 2020?" and answer "Yes".

4. Next question is 'Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?".  I answer 'No'.

5. Next screen is 'Tell us about this sale'.

- If I click on "I'll enter one sale at a time", I get Box 1a thru Box 1e to fill in that doesn't match the 1099-S form I received.

-If I click on "I'll enter a summary for each sales category", I get three fields:

-1) Total Proceeds (sum of all sales)

-2) Total Cost Basis (sum of all sales)

-3) Holding period

If I go back and answer 'Yes' to 'Did you get a 1099-B...", I provide the bank name and then get the same options to fill in.

What do I do with this?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you are in the correct place.  In TurboTax Online Premier, I was able to enter a long-term capital gain

on Schedule D of the Federal 1040 by following these steps: 

• In the upper right hand corner of the screen click on the magnifying glass Search icon.
  • Type sale of second home.  Hit enter.
  • Click on Jump to sale of second home.
  • This should bring you to the screen Did you sell stocks, mutual fuds, bonds or other investments in 2020?.
  • Click Yes.
  • At the screen OK, what type of investments did you sell?, click Other

TurboTax will walk you through a series of questions to determine whether the transaction generated a taxable gain or taxable loss.  The transaction will likely be reported on Schedule D.

You need to provide these data elements.

• The 1099-S will provide the broker name and EIN.
  • The type of investment in the drop-down box is Second home.
  • Answer how you received the second home.
  • Enter date of receiving the investment and date of disposing of the investment.
  • Enter the proceeds of sale and total amount paid which is your basis.
  • Click Continue

You may find that the sale will be taxable income on your home state tax return as well as the on tax return for the state where the building is located. Your home state tax return may allow you a credit for taxes paid to another state.

See also IRS sale of my second residence.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies