Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report qualified charitable donations paid from IRA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

50 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

First, be sure that the distribution is from and IRA and that the IRA box is checked in the program. As you continue in the interview section, you will encounter the screen.

As you continue with the interview screens, you will be asked if you donated a portion or all of the distribution to charity. There are eligibility requirements. TurboTax will exclude this amount  and will show the notation QCD.

You have to continue through the interview screen by screen. The screen that asks whether you transferred any of the distribution to charity doesn't say "QCD," but that's what it's about. If you answer that you transferred part of the distribution to charity, the next screen will ask you how much was transferred to charity. The next screen after that will tell you that the amount you specified is designated as a QCD. That last confirmation screen is the only place that you will actually see the term QCD.

A QCD is a direct transfer of funds from your IRA custodian, payable to a qualified charity. QCDs can be counted toward satisfying your minimum required distributions (MRDs) for the year, as long as certain rules are met.

In addition to the benefits of giving to charity, a QCD excludes the amount donated from taxable income, which is unlike regular withdrawals from an IRA. Keeping your taxable income lower may reduce the impact to certain tax credits and deductions, including Social Security and Medicare.

Can I make a QCD?

While many IRAs are eligible for QCDs—Traditional, Rollover, Inherited, SEP (inactive plans only), and SIMPLE (inactive plans only)* —there are requirements:

• You must be 70½ or older to be eligible to make a QCD.
  • QCDs are limited to the amount that would otherwise be taxed as ordinary income. This excludes non-deductible contributions.
  • The maximum annual amount that can qualify for a QCD is $100,000. This applies to the sum of QCDs made to one or more charities in a calendar year. (If, however, you file taxes jointly, your spouse can also make a QCD from his or her own IRA within the same tax year for up to $100,000.)
  • For a QCD to count towards your current year’s MRD, the funds must come out of your IRA by your MRD deadline, generally December 31.

Where on Turbotax do I report charitable donations paid from IRA proceeds shown on 1099-4, box 4?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You saw the instructions above your post so I know that isn't the problem. Sorry, what form? The 1099R box 4 is federal tax withheld so I know that is not your question. More information please!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kubert

We are H & W filing jointly. I can't find a form to report W's RMD and she has a charitable contribution from the IRA. When I select the box on H's IRA Turbotax page for an additional IRA, the questions are asked of H, not W

How does W fill in her information?

Kubert

How do I report qualified charitable donations paid from IRA for wife after husband's has been filled in? When I select "continue" it does not get me to a screen for wife.

Kubert

How do I report info about Wife's IRA MRD which includes a charitable contribution (qualified) of part of the distribution?

@Kubert wrote:

How do I report info about Wife's IRA MRD which includes a charitable contribution (qualified) of part of the distribution?

Be sure to choose that the 1099-R is for your spouse.

1099-R spouse - edit.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Turbo Tax never asked if I donated any amount to charity.

@DonBirnie wrote:

Turbo Tax never asked if I donated any amount to charity.

Qualified charitable distributions.

A qualified charitable distribution (QCD) generally is a nontaxable distribution made directly by the trustee of your IRA (other than a SEP or SIMPLE IRA) to an organization eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions. You must be at least age 70½ when the distribution was made. Also, you must have the same type of acknowledgment of your contribution that you would need to claim a deduction for a charitable contribution.

If you are 70 1/2 or older, the interview will ask if you took the RMD. After that it will ask if you make a charitable contribution. Answer yes and then enter the QCD amount.

NOTE: 2020 TurboTax presently has a bug the prevents it from asking the necessary question for those with birthdates between July 1, 1949 and June 30, 1950. As a workaround for this, with the CD/download version you can provide the QCD-amount information on the 1099-R in forms mode or in any version of TurboTax you can temporarily change your birthdate in TurboTax to something before July 1, 1949, edit the 1099-R form in TurboTax and answer the question asking how much was transferred to charity, then change your birthdate in TurboTax back to your actual birthdate.

The 1099-R box 1 amount will go in the 1040 form line 4b (taxable amount) minus the QCD amount and the total box 1 amount will go on line 4a with "QCD" next to it.

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
(I'll choose what I work on - if that screen comes up)
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR Use the "Tools" menu (if online version left side) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
SLinWA

The answers below about additional questions being asked in TurboTax related to Form 1099-R and QCD's are great but apply to the 2019 TurboTax. 

I am now working on my 2020 tax return and haven't found the additional questions in the 2020 TurboTax for Form 1099-R referred to in the answers below that address a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) from an IRA.  Are they there and I'm missing them?  If yes, please help direct me to them.  If they're not there, how do we claim the QCD deduction and add the required "QCD" to print on page 1 of Form 1040?

Thank You

Did you read my post that is directly above your question about the bug (note in bold) in the 2020 version?

tapadebt

There is no message when I enter a 1099-r that talks about a charitable distribution 

tapadebt

After entering the 1099 information, there is no screen that comes up asking about a QCD.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you make sure that the IRA box is checked and that you change your age as instructed, you will get this screen. @tapadebt

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies