Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

srtrost
Returning Member

How do I report qualified charitable donations paid from IRA

The screen that allows you to declare a QCD does not come up in 2021 Turbo Tax

See this:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/form-1099-r/help/why-isn-t-the-option-to-select-that-i-made-a-qual...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

which version of Turbotax? with mine the question is - transfer to charity?

taxpayer had all or part transferred to charity. "QCD" is not mentioned but answering these questions will get the contribution treated as a QCD.

srtrost
Returning Member

not on my version (TT Deluxe)

@srtrost wrote:

not on my version (TT Deluxe)

Did you click on the link I posted

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/form-1099-r/help/why-isn-t-the-option-to-select-that-i-made-a-qual...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Dilbird

Apparently this is an annoying BUG that comes up every year-- at least the last three now.

All of these solutions that have been offered have been tried and as of Feb 18, 2022, there is NO way to get the QCD to work. Not in Easy Step nor by using Forms and entering the QCD amount directly in 1099R form. It simply does not work. Will this ever get fixed?

srtrost
Returning Member

I have asked about this several times.  I still do not see how to get credit for my QCD.  I have gone through all the screens and no luck.  Please help

BillM223
Expert Alumni

How old were you on 12/31/2021?

Was the 1099-R from an IRA (other than an SEP or Simple IRA)? If so, then did you check the box after line 7 when entering the 1099-R into TurboTax?

Are you using the Online product or the CD/download product?

Did you read the workarounds above (i.e., if you were between 70 1/2 and 72 and so the QCD question does not appear, did you change your birthdate to be older, do the QCD, then change your birthday back)?

@srtrost

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
srtrost
Returning Member

Hello

I still cannot find place to enter QCD

Here is what you sent to me

How old were you on 12/31/2021?

Was the 1099-R from an IRA (other than an SEP or Simple IRA)? If so, then did you check the box after line 7 when entering the 1099-R into TurboTax?

Are you using the Online product or the CD/download product?

Did you read the workarounds above (i.e., if you were between 70 1/2 and 72 and so the QCD question does not appear, did you change your birthdate to be older, do the QCD, then change your birthday back)?

I am 82 - I use a PC with a download product. I have not changed birthdate

I am very familiar with computers - I need to take this deduction and do not see how

Thank you

@srtrost

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Here are the steps that worked in the Desktop version just now:

• Enter the information on the 1099-R, Box 7, Code &, IRA box checked, Continue
  • Did you inherit the IRA, No, Continue
  • Was this withdrawal an RMD for 2021? Yes; Tell us how much of the $5000 Pippi received applies to the RMD that needs to be taken out, All of this was RMD, Continue
  • Transfer to Charity? Did Pippi ask the trustee to transfer all or part ... to a qualified charitable organization?
  • Check the box for all or part of this was transferred to charity.

Done.

@srtrost 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rglynn74

I have several small Qualified Charitable Deductions from my IRA.  I cannot find instructions on how to input them to reduce the taxes from my MRD (Mand. Required Distribution)  from IRA.   It is not clear to me where this is where to ask questions..

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Enter each 1099-R as you normally do. When you arrive at the screen below, you can mark the transfer to charity.

Paul Cox
Returning Member

The concept of how to enter a IRA Qualified Charitable Donation into my taxes during  the interview process is a good one.  TurboTax, on the other hand, does not include any such question in its program.   So, now my IRAs annual distribution has been tacked onto my gross income, even though it was sent directly to a 501c3 charity.  Interesting that you have very clear instructions from your tax experts, but the program does not comport with those instructions.  I guess I will have to file a revised return.     

@Paul Cox wrote:

The concept of how to enter a IRA Qualified Charitable Donation into my taxes during  the interview process is a good one.  TurboTax, on the other hand, does not include any such question in its program.   So, now my IRAs annual distribution has been tacked onto my gross income, even though it was sent directly to a 501c3 charity.  Interesting that you have very clear instructions from your tax experts, but the program does not comport with those instructions.  I guess I will have to file a revised return.     

If you are over the age of 70 1/2 then it DOES ask the question.

Qualified charitable distributions.

A qualified charitable distribution (QCD) generally is a nontaxable distribution made directly by the trustee of your IRA (other than a SEP or SIMPLE IRA) to an organization eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions. You must be at least age 70½ when the distribution was made. Also, you must have the same type of acknowledgment of your contribution that you would need to claim a deduction for a charitable contribution.

If you are 72 or older, the interview will ask if you took the RMD. After that it will ask if you make a charitable contribution. Answer yes and then enter the QCD amount.

If you are 70 1/2 or older, it will ask if you make a charitable contribution. Answer yes and then enter the QCD amount.

In the online version the Charitable Donation question is on the "Do any of these situations apply to you?" screen.

The 1099-R box 1 amount will go in the 1040 form line 4b (taxable amount) minus the QCD amount and the total box 1 amount will go on line 4a with "QCD" next to it.

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
(I'll choose what I work on - if that screen comes up)
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR Use the "Tools" menu (if online version left side) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

How do I report QCDs without using the interview?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies