turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

malcdi2

How do I get TurboTax to apply the 750,000 debt limit for deductible mortgage interest? It is currently considering *all* my interest deductible, which is incorrect.

I  bought and sold a home in 2019. The sale took longer than expected, and I owned both for a few months. Accordingly, my total debt for 2019 exceeds the 750,000 limit. However, when I enter both 1098's, TurboTax considers *all* my mortgage interest paid in 2019 qualified for deduction, instead of just the interest up to the 750,000 limit. I don't know how to get it to apply the correct multiplier to my mortgage interest paid. I have tried entering and re-entering the 1098's several times.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

How do I get TurboTax to apply the 750,000 debt limit for deductible mortgage interest? It is currently considering *all* my interest deductible, which is incorrect.

For desktop versions:

• In Forms view, locate and click on Tax & Int Wks on the left from the forms list
  • On the form, scroll to Mortgage Interest Limited Smart Worksheet
  • Click on YES to the right of the question, Does your mortgage interest need to be limited

For online versions, after entering the 1098 interest information, continue through the screens and TurboTax will ask you if the interest needs to be limited.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
malcdi2

Thanks! I am using the Premier online version, and do not get asked this question at any point between starting and filing. It just includes all of the interest in the deduction, which is over-claiming.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies