Solved: How do I find the ad valorem tax amount I paid on a new car in 2016?

How do I find the ad valorem tax amount I paid on a new car in 2016?

My bill of sale includes a line for TAVT, which includes the ad valorem paid, but from what I am reading, I can only deduct the ad valorem portion of the TAVT.  How do I find out what that amount is since it's not broken out on my bill of sale?

Here's the state of Georgia's take on this:

You can deduct only the Ad Valorem Tax portion of the annual auto registration on your Federal Schedule A. The new Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) does not appear to be deductible for Federal or Georgia purposes. In order to be deductible as a personal property tax, it must be imposed on an annual basis.

So, according to Georgia, no part of the TAVT is deductible.

Tom Young

Tom Young

So, they can continue charging/collecting ad valorem taxes, they get them all up front now vs. having to collect over a long period of time AND they avoid residents from being able to claim the tax deduction since it's not assessed annually?  What a scam.  Thanks for the quick response!